The School of Theatre annually holds auditions, portfolio reviews and interviews for incoming freshmen and transfer students. Each student must also apply and be admitted to Stephen F. Austin State University (http://www.sfasu.edu/admissions-and-aid). Results of the audition/interview process may be: acceptance as a theatre major with a scholarship from the School of Theatre; acceptance with no scholarship from the School of Theatre; provisional acceptance; or non-acceptance as a theatre major (students admitted to the university may choose a different major).
Auditions & Interviews for Incoming Theatre Students
Students should provide the following information for the School:
- Current overall grade average and ACT or SAT scores, and class rank
- A resume of theatre accomplishments and a statement of goals
- Two letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your work
- A current photograph of yourself
- Choose one or two of the following:
- Actors: A prepared audition showing your range and ability. Include two contrasting selections limited to a total of no more than three minutes.
- Designers or technicians: A design portfolio presentation showing your abilities in aspects of design/technical theatre. An interview will follow the portfolio presentation.
- Academics: Be prepared to discuss academic accomplishments, areas of interest in research and a sample of your writing.
- Teacher Certification: There is no formal audition for teacher certification students. Students who express an interest in teacher certification will have opportunities to meet with faculty in this area.
Consult the audition locations and dates on this page, and complete the online School of Theatre application to sign up for an audition.
Please Note: If you audition on or before April 29, we will also consider you for a scholarship!!
If you have any questions or would like more information about auditions, scholarships or any other aspect of the School of Theatre, please write, call or e-mail:
- Professor Cleo House, Jr., Director of the School of Theatre
- School of Theatre
- Stephen F. Austin State University
- P.O. Box 6090, SFA Station
- Nacogdoches, TX 75962-6090
- Phone: 936.468.4003
- Toll Free: 888.722.3396
- Fax: 936.468.7601
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Audition Location & Dates
School of Theatre Application
Please note: Out of concern for the safety and well-being of students, faculty, and staff, and in accordance with national, state, and CDC guidelines, Stephen F. Austin University has suspended in-person classes for the remainder of the spring semester and through the summer. Further, all live department events and performances have been cancelled, postponed, or moved online.
The SFASU School of Theatre will hold auditions, portfolio reviews and interviews on the dates listed below.
Theatre Days at Stephen F. Austin State University—Open to all incoming students. Attend a class in an area such as acting, design or directing; meet faculty and students; tour the campus and our theatre facilities; audition for the theatre major and a scholarship; and attend one or more performances or rehearsals. Theatre Day activities begin at 12 p.m. (noon) with auditions held in the late afternoon; students and families are encouraged to stay through the evening to see a performance or dress rehearsal of a production or reading from our Mainstage Series, lasting until late evening.
Each Theatre Day begins at 12 p.m. (noon) in the lobby of the Griffith Fine Arts Building on the SFA campus.Theatre Day is free for prospective students and up to two family members. Register to let us know you will be attending by filling out the School of Theatre application. Students who register for a Theatre Day will receive a full itinerary, maps of Nacogdoches and the campus, and additional information approximately two weeks before the event.
To sign up to attend a Theatre Day, please complete the School of Theatre application.
- October 7, 2020
- November 11, 2020